Sweetwater Mobile Home Residents Battle Eviction, Illness, and Power Outages

by | Jun 8, 2025 | Miami News | 0 comments

Residents of the Li’l Abner Mobile Home Park in Sweetwater say they’re living in worsening conditions as they fight to stay in their homes. With demolition already underway and over 200 families facing eviction, many say they are sick, stressed, and left in the dark—literally.

Several homes lost electricity after a damaged transformer on Friday, and neighbors blame nearby demolition. They also claim exposure to asbestos from torn-down structures is making them ill.

The property’s owner has filed 218 eviction notices against households that refused to leave by a May deadline. That deadline came seven months after residents were first told the land would be cleared to make way for affordable housing. So far, over 600 families have accepted buyouts—but others refuse.

“I feel stressed and anxious,” one mother said. “What am I going to do with four kids? Rent is so high, and we’re still paying here.”

Residents accuse the property owners of using unsafe conditions to force them out, despite ongoing legal challenges and strong community resistance.

NBC6 reached out to the demolition company but has not received a response.

Miami Woman Charged in Gruesome Puppy Killing

Miami Woman Charged in Gruesome Puppy Killing

A disturbing case has rocked El Portal after 19-year-old Yadelin Marin was arrested and charged with animal cruelty and battery in connection with the brutal stabbing of a puppy named Kory. Police say the incident occurred July 12 inside a bathroom on NW 82nd Street....

Thanksgiving 2025: What’s Open and Closed

Thanksgiving 2025: What’s Open and Closed

Thanksgiving brings family time, gratitude, and plenty of turkey — but it also changes store hours across the country. While federal offices, courts, and post offices close for the holiday, several retail and grocery chains operate on modified schedules. Open on...